EASTHAM, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Wirrall district, Cheshire. The township lies on the river Mersey, at a ferry, and on the Chester and Birken-head railway, between Bromborough and Hooton stations, 6¼ miles SSE of Birkenhead; and has a post office under Chester. Acres, 2, 036; of which 585 are water. Real property, £4, 295. Pop., 522. Houses, 93. The parish contains also the townships of Great Sutton, Little Sutton, Over-Pool, Nether-Pool, Childer-Thornton, and Hooton, and part of the township of Whitby. Acres, 10, 538. Real property, with the rest of Whitby, £17, 386. Pop., 2, 641. Houses, 514. The property is subdivided. Hooton Park is the seat of Sir William T. S. M. Stanley, Bart. There are numerous villas. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £240.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church is ancient, and has a tower and spire. The chapelries of Hooton and Ellesmere-Port are separate benefices. There are a United Presbyterian church, two Primitive Methodist chapels, three national schools, and charities £28. The sub-district includes also Bromborough parish, and four townships of Bebington. Acres, 19, 324. Pop., 9, 167. Houses, 1, 645.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township, a parish, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Shotton Colliery|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.