EDGBASTON, a suburb, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Kings Norton and county of Warwick. The suburb adjoins Birmingham; forms the west end of that town; lies on the Birmingham canal, adjacent to the Stour Valley railway; and has a station on the railway and two post offices, ‡ of the names of Bristol-Road and Hagley-Road, under Birmingham. It comprises fine streets, elegant terraces, numerous villas, and ornamental walks; presents aspects of beauty and picturesqueness in striking contrast to the old parts of Birmingham; and contains a manorial hall, three churches, botanic gardens, and institutions for the deaf and blind. The hall stands in a small but ornate park, formerly open to the public; was once the seat of the lords of the manor; was garrisoned by the parliamentarians during the civil war; was burned by a mob at the Revolution; and was re-erected by Sir Richard Gough. The parish church stands close to the park; dates from very ancient times; suffered demolition in the time of the Commonwealth; has a pinnacled square tower, the lower part of which belonged to the ancient edifice; was rebuilt after the Restoration, and again in 1810; and was repaired in 1843, and again repaired and enlarged in 1856. St. George's church stands in Calthorpe-street; is in the early English style; and was built in 1838, and enlarged in 1856. St. James' church stands near Elvetham-road; is cruciform, with a tower; and was built in 1852, at a cost of about £6, 000. The parish comprises 2, 545 acres. Real property, £95, 328. Pop. in 1851, 9, 269; in 1861, 12, 907. Houses, 2, 292. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged formerly to the Middlemores, and belongs now to Lord Calthorpe. The parochial living is a vicarage, and the livings of St. George, St. Augustine, and St. James are p. curacies in the diocese of Worcester. Value of the first, £542; * of the second, £350; of the other two, not reported. Patron of the first three, Lord Calthorpe; of St. A., the Bishop. Charities, £11.The sub-district includes also Northfield.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a suburb, a parish, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Edgbaston CP/Ch Edgbaston SubD Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.