ERDINGTON, a hamlet, a chapelry, and a sub-district in Aston parish, Warwick. The hamlet lies adjacent to Staffordshire, on the Birmingham and Sutton-Coldfield railway, near the Fazeley canal and the river Tame, 4¼ miles NE by E of Birmingham; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Birmingham. Real property, £20, 465. Pop., 3, 906. Houses, 722. The manor was given by William the Conqueror to the Fitz Ausculphs; and passed to the Erdingtons. There are numerous villas and good modern dwellings. The chapelry is conterminate with the hamlet, and was constituted in 1858. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £200.* Patron, the Vicar of Aston. The church is modern; and there are an Independent chapel, a Roman Catholic college for 200 students, with chapel and museum, two large orphan asylums, and a suite of alms-houses. -The sub-district includes five other hamlets, and Aston manor. Pop., 24, 447.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a hamlet, a chapelry, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Erdington CP/Ch Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.