Your free text search term was KNAPTON.
ERPINGHAM, a parish, a district, and two hundreds in Norfolk. The parish is in Aylsham district; and lies on the river Bure, 3 miles NNE of Aylsham, and 5 ½ miles W by N of North Walsham railway station. Post town, Aylsham, under Norwich. Acres, 1, 381. Real property, £2, 664. Pop., 423. Houses, 99. The property is much divided. The manor belonged to the Erpinghams or Hapurgans, one of whom fought at Agincourt. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Blickling, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is later English, with a tower; and contains a painted rood-screen, a brass effigies of the Erpinghams of date 1370, and three brasses of later dates.The district comprehends the sub-district of North Walsham, containing the parishes of North Walsham, Suffield, Antingham, Gunton, Thorpe-Market, South Repps, Gimingham, Trunch, Knapton, Mundsley, Trimingham, Sidestrand, and North Repps; the sub-district of Cromer, containing the parishes of Cromer, Overstrand, Felbrigg, Metton, Roughton, Hanworth, Aldborough, Thurgarton, Sustead, Bessingham, Gresham, Aylmerton, Runton, Beeston-Regis, Sheringham, East Beckham, West Beckham, Barningham-Norwood, Barningham-Winter, Matlask, Plumstead, and Baconsthorpe; and the sub-district of Holt, containing the parishes of Holt, Bodham, Weybourne, Kelling, Salthouse, Cley-next-the-Sea, Glandford, Bayfield, Letheringsett, Hempstead, Edgefield, Hunworth, Stody, Thornage, Brinton, Briston, and Melton-Constable-with-Burgh-Parva. It comprises Erpingham poor-law union and Brinton incorporation, the latter consisting of the parishes of Brinton and Melton-Constable-with-Burgh-Parva; and it has one workhouse in West Beckham and another in Melton-Constable. Acres, 72, 513. Poor-rates in 1862, £11, 234. Pop. in 1851, 21, 722: in 1861 20, 874. Houses, 4, 891. Marriages in 1860, 143; births, 642, -of which 68 were illegitimate; deaths, 460, -of which 163 were at ages under 5 years, and 22 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1, 437; births, 6, 605; deaths, 4, 505. The places of worship in 1851 were 49 of the Church of England, with 11, 718 sit-tings; 2 of Independents, with 443 s.; 2 of Baptists, with 370 s.; 2 of Quakers, with 298 s.; 12 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 2, 514 s.; 18 of Primitive Methodists, with 2, 252 s.; 4 of Wesleyan Reformers, with 702 s.; 1 undefined, with 190 s.; and 1 of Latter Day Saints, with 16 s. The schools were 28 public day schools, with 1, 947 scholars; 20 private day schools, with 902 s.; 47 Sunday schools, with 2, 635 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 12 s.-The two hundreds are N and S; and they jointly are larger in extent than the district, yet exclude some portions of it. The N hundred contains thirty-one parishes. Acres, 40, 040. Pop., 10, 534. Houses, 2, 510. The S hundred contains forty parishes. Acres, 49, 078. Pop., 14, 979. Houses, 3, 326.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish, a district, and two hundreds" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 3rd order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Erpingham CP/AP Erpingham RegD/PLU Norfolk AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.