Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for FILLONGLEY

FILLONGLEY, a parish, with a village, in Meriden district, Warwick; near Arley and Fillongley railway station, 6 miles NW by N of Coventry. It has a post office under Coventry. Acres, 4, 731. Real property, £9, 694. Pop., 1, 105. Houses, 247. The property is much subdivided. Old Fillongley belonged to the monks of Coventry; and the rest of the land was given to Robert Dispensator, and passed to the Hastings family. "Here, " says Dugdale, "were two castles, the one north-east of the church, about one-fourth of a mile, to this day called by the name of Castle-hill; the other southward from the church, scarce half the distance, bearing still the name of Castle-yard, and unto which a park, of very large extent, was attached." The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £249.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, but good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel. Avery's charity, for educating and apprenticing poor children, has £231; Green's school has £12; and other charities have £36.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Fillongley AP/CP       Meriden RegD/PLU       Warwickshire AncC
Place: Fillongley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.