FRODSHAM, a small town, a township, a lordship, a parish, and a sub-district in Runcorn district, Cheshire. The town stands, amid pleasant environs, on an eminence at the foot of the hills forming the northern extremity of Delamere forest, near the confluence of the rivers Weaver and Mersey, adjacent to the Chester and Warrington railway, 10 miles NE of Chester. It consists chiefly of two long and well-paved streets, intersecting each other at right angles. At the east end of it is a stone bridge over the Weaver; and at the west end stood Frodsham Castle, supposed to have been of Norman origin, -given by Edward I. to David, the brother of Llewelyn, the last sovereign prince of Wales, -given afterwards to the Savages, Earls Rivers, -and burnt in 1642. A handsome modern house occupies the site of the castle. The town has a post office‡ under Preston Brook, a railway station, a harbour for small vessels, and two chief inns; and fairs are beld at it on 16 May, 21 Aug., and 13 Dec. Beacon hill, adjacent to it, was formerly surmounted by a beacon; is traversed, round the brow, by a fine walk, commanding a rich and extensive view; and has, or recently had, at its foot, butts for the practice of archery. A place called Frodsham Bridge, on the Mersey, about a mile from the town, has a bridge over the Mersey, a graving dock, some salt pits, and a post office under Preston Brook.-The township of Frodsham comprises 2, 256 acres. Real property, £8, 376; of which £50 are in gas-works. Pop., 1,869. Houses, 389.-The lord-ship of Frodsham adjoins the township on the NE; and consists of the hamlets of Bradley, Netherton, Overton, and Woodhouses. Acres, 3, 524; of which 945 are water. Real property, £5, 190. Pop., 968. Houses, 190.The parish contains also the townships of Helsby, Alvanley, Manley, Newton-by-Frodsham, Kingsley, and Norley. Acres, 14, 288; of which 945 are water. Real property, £29, 889; of which £65 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 6, 382; in 1861, 5, 890. Houses, 1, 183. The decrease of pop. was occasioned by discontinuance of labour on railway works and in quarries. The manor was beld by the successive owners of Frodsham Castle; and passed to the Earl of Cholmondeley. Large quantities of potatoes are raised for the markets of Lancashire. Many of the inhabitants are employed in salt works, flour mills, cotton manufacture, and stone quarries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £590.* Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church stands on the hill adjacent to the town; is within Overton hamlet; and has Norman parts. The chapelries of Alvanley, Kingsley, and Norley are separate benefices. There are seven dissenting chapels, a national school, a grammar school with £40 from endowment, and other charities with £73. Persons are recorded to have died in the parish at the ages of 102, 104, 107, and 141.The sub-district includes also the township of Delamere. Acres, 14, 388 Pop., 6, 050. Houses, 1, 212.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a small town, a township, a lordship, a parish, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "cities")|
|Administrative units:||Frodsham AP/CP Frodsham SubD Runcorn RegD/PLU Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.