GAWSWORTH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Macclesfield district, Cheshire. The village stands near the Grand Trunk canal and the North Staffordshire railway, 3½ miles SW by S of Macclesfield; and is an ancient place, with some old houses. The parish comprises 5, 442 acres. Post town, Macclesfield. Real property, £7, 038; of which £62 are in quarries. Pop., 713. Houses, 118. The manor belonged at the conquest to Earl Ranulph; passed to the Bigods; was long held by the Fittons; and belongs now to the Earl of Harrington. Gawsworth Hall is a seat of the Earl. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £737.* Patron, the Earl of Harrington. The church is a handsome structure, with a pinnacled tower; and contains monuments of the Fittons. There are a national school, and charities £36.The sub-district contains also five townships of Prestbury parish, and one of Astbury. Acres, 16, 854. Pop., 3, 118. Houses, 587.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a parish, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Gawsworth CP/AP Gawsworth SubD Macclesfield PLU/RegD Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.