GODLEY, a township and a chapelry in Mottram parish, Cheshire. The township lies on the verge of the county, at a junction of railways, adjacent to Hyde, 3 miles SSE of Ashton-under-Lyne; and has a station at the railway junction. Acres, 639. Real property, £6, 059; of which £25 are in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 1, 353; in 1861, 1, 185. Houses, 236. The decrease of pop. was occasioned by discontinuance of employment in cotton mills. The manor was held, in the time of King John, by the family of Godleigh; and belongs now to the Tollemaches. The chapelry bears the name of Godley-cum-Newton-Green; and was constituted in 1847. Post town, Newton-Moor, under Manchester. Pop., 2, 209. Houses, 435. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £200.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The churchwasbuiltin 1850.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township and a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Godley Tn/CP Mottram AP/CP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.