GRAPPENHALL, a township and a parish in the district of Warrington and county of Chester. The township lies on the Bridgewater canal, near the North-western railway and the river Mersey, 2¾ miles SE by S of Warrington; and has a post office under Warrington. Acres, 1, 540. Real property, £5, 566. Pop., 701. Houses, 139. The parish includes also the township of Latchford, and contains 2, 550 acres. Real property, £14, 438. Pop., 3, 586. Houses, 712. The property is subdivided. G. Hall and the Heys are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £542.* Patron, the Rev. T. Greenall. The church was built in 1539. The two vicarages of Latchford are separate benefices. There two dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £18.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Grappenhall CP/AP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.