GRENDON, a parish in Atherstoge district, Warwick; on the river Anker, the Coventry canal, and the Trent Valley railway, continuous to Leicestershire, 2½ miles NW by N of Atherstone. It includes Whittingtog hamlet; and its post town is Atherstone. Acres, 2, 360. Real property, £3, 172. Pop., 561. Houses, 115. The property is divided among. a few. Grendon Hall, a fine large edifice, mainly rebuilt in 1825, is the seat of Sir George Chetwynd, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £525. * Patron, Sir G. Chetwynd, Bart. The church consists of gave, chancel, aisles, and transept, with embattled tower; and is good. Charities, £5.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Grendon CP/AP Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.