HALFORD, or HALFORD-BRIDGE, a parish and a subdistrict in Shipston-on-Stour district, Warwick. The parish lies on the river Stour, 4 miles N of Shipston-on-Stour, and 8 NE of Moreton-on-the-Marsh r. station; and its post town is Shipston-on-Stour. Acres, 1, 010. Real property, £1, 698. Pop., 314. Houses, 77. The property is subdivided. The name was originally Aldford, meaning Oldford; and alluded to a ford here over the Stour. The parish was a meet for the Warwick hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester.. Value, £240.* Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church was recently restored.The sub-district contains ten parishes. Acres, 21, 080. Pop., 3, 857. Houses, 907.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish and a subdistrict" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Halford AP/CP Halford SubD Shipston on Stour RegD/PLU Warwickshire AncC|
|Place names:||HALFORD | HALFORD BRIDGE | HALFORD OR HALFORD BRIDGE|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.