Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HALTON

HALTON, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Runcorn parish, Cheshire. The village stands on an eminence near the Bridgewater canal, the Northwestern railway, and the river Mersey, 1½ mile SE of Runcorn, and 3 NNE of Frodsham; commands an extensive view along the Mersey; was once a market town; and has a post office under Preston Brook, a r. station, and an inn with bowling green.-The township comprises 779 acres. Real property, £, 607. Pop., 1, 505. Houses, 317. An ancient barony of Halton, having its seat at the village, was, with the constableship of Chester, given by Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester, to his cousin Nigel; continued, for several centuries, to be held by Nigel's descendants; and passed, through John of Gaunt, to the duchy of Lancaster. A castle here, on the brow of a hill, was built about the time of the Conquest; was a favourite hunting seat of John of Gaunt; was dismantled in the civil war of Charles I.; and is now represented by inconsiderable ruins; but includes a habitable portion, rebuilt after the Restoration. The manor now belongs to Sir Richard Brooke, Bart. Stone is quarried. -The chapelry is rather larger than the township, and was constituted in 1860. Pop., 1, 541. Houses, 290. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £157.* Patron, Sir R. Brooke, Bart. The church is an edifice of red stone, with a turret. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, an endowed grammar school, and alms houses with £55.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Halton CP/Ch       Runcorn AP/CP       Cheshire AncC
Place: Halton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.