HAMMERWICH, a chapelry in Lichfield-St. Michael parish, Stafford; on the south-eastern verge of Cannock chase, on the Wyrley and Essington canal, and on the South Stafford railway, 3 miles WSW of Lichfield. It has a station on the railway; and its post town is Lichfield. Real property, £, 213. Pop. in 185, 270; in 186, 991. Houses, 198. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the opening of new coalmines. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Auglesey.The chapelry was reconstituted within narrower limits in 1860. Pop. in 186, 530. Houses, 101. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £250. Patrons, Certain Trustees. The church is old, but tolerable; and there are charities £34. A mausoleum of the Ashmalls is near the church.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Staffordshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.