Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HAMPRESTON

HAMPRESTON, a parish in the district of Wimborne, and counties of Dorset and Hants; on the river Stour, near the Southampton and Dorchester railway, 3¼ miles ESE of Wimborne Minster. It includes the hamlet of Longham, which has a post office under Wimborne. Acres, 4, 948. Real property, £, 260. Pop., 341. Houses, 295. Pop. of the Dorset portion, 1, 115. Houses, 246. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Ainlfus, the Conqueror's chamberlain. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £282.* Patrons, the Rev. H. T. Glyn and others. The church is early and later English; and was enlarged in the early part of the present century. There are two dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic convent, two national schools, and charities £50.

(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Hampreston CP/AP       Wimborne and Cranborne RegD/PLU       Dorset AncC       Hampshire AncC
Place: Hampreston

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.