HAMPTON-IN-ARDEN, a village in Meriden district, and a parish partly also in Solihull district, Warwick. The village stands on the river Blythe, contiguous to the Hampton Junction station of the Northwestern and Midland railways, 9¼ miles SE by E of Birmingham; occupies a rising ground; was once a market town; and has a post office under Birmingham, and fairs on 9 June, 21 July, 8 Sept, and 15 Oct. Pop., 690. Houses, 150. The parish includes also the hamlets of Kinwalsey, Knowle, Balsall, and NuthurST. Acres, 11, 052. Real property, £22, 224. Pop., 3, 161. Houses, 735. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Right Hon. Frederick Peel. A tunnel of the Northwestern railway, 300 yards long, is near. The parish is a meet for the North Warwick hounds. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Nuthurst, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £578. * Patron, W.Alston, Esq. The church is ancient; belonged to the canons of Kenilworth; has features of Saxon or of early Norman; and consists of a chancel and three aisles, with a low tower. The vicarage of Knowle is a separate benefice. There are an Independent chapel, and a charity founded, in 1690, by George Fentham, and now yielding about £400 a year.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Solihull PLU/RegD Warwickshire AncC|
|Place:||Hampton in Arden|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.