HAMPTON-LUCY, a village and a parish in Stratford-on-Avon district, Warwick. The village stands on the river Avon, 4 miles NE by E of Stratford-on-Avon r. station; and has a post office under Warwick. The parish includes also the hamlet of Ingon. Acres, 3, 050. Real property, £6, 694. Pop., 435. Houses, 94. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to the bishops of Worcester, and then bore the name of Bishops Hampton; but was given, by Queen Mary, to the Lucy family, and then took the name of Hampton Lucy. An elegant cast iron bridge was recently constructed here over the Avon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £1, 346. * Patron, Henry S. Lucy, Esq. The church is a splendid edifice, in the decorated style of the 14th century; was mainly built in 1826, from a fund left by a rector's widow; acquired a highly decorated apsis in 1 858; underwent further improvements in 1863-4; is computed to have cost about £20, 000; has beautifully carved open seats in the nave-exquisitely carved oak stalls, and two elegant painted windows in the chancel-and five very fine large windows, with painted designs in the apsis; and contains a fine oak pulpit on a stone base, and a brass eagle lectern. An endowed grammar school has £118 a year, with two exhibitions at Magdalene college, Oxford; and other charities have £25.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Hampton Lucy CP/AP Stratford on Avon PLU/RegD Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.