HARTFORD, a parish in the district and county of Huntingdon; on Ermine street and the river Ouse, 1½ mile E of Huntingdon r. station. Post town, Huntingdon. Acres, 1, 720. Real property, £2, 737. Pop., 341. Houses, 73. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir John Pelly, Bart. Many Ancient coins and other relics have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £174. * Patron, the Rev. George Pinder. The church is partly Norman; belonged to the Augustinian friary of Huntingdon; has two aisles and a tower; underwent repair in 1861; and was then found to include stone coffins, mural paintings, and other interesting objects of the Saxon and the Norman times. The great tithes and the patronage formed part of the marriage settlement of Oliver Cromwell's wife. Charities, £30.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Hartford CP/AP Huntingdonshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.