HARTFORD, a village in Great Budworth parish, and a township-chapelry partly also in Weaverham parish, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Weaver, adjacent to the Northwestern railway, 1 ½ mile SW of Northwich; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, a post office under Northwich, and fairs on 12 April and 12 Oct. The chapelry comprises 1, 102 acres. Real property, £4, 979. Pop., 987. Houses, 214. Pop. of the Great Budworth portion, 969. Houses, 209. The manor belonged formerly to the Twemlows. Hartford Manor, Hartford Hall, Hartford House, Hartford Grange, and Woodlands are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £117. Patrons, Trustees. The church is a brick building, with a tower. There is a national school.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.