HAWKESBURY, a tything, a parish, and a sub-district, in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester. The tything lies under the Cotswolds, 3 miles W of the boundary with Wilts, 4 NW by N of Chipping-Sodbury, and 4 ESE of Wickwar r. station; has a post office, of the name of Hawkesbury-Upton, under Chippenham, a police station, and a fair on the last Friday of Aug.; and gave the title of Baron to the Earls of Liverpool. Real property, £3, 554. Pop., 466. Houses, 108.The parish contains also the tythings of Upton, Hillesley, Little Badminton, and Saddlewood-with-Tresham and Killcott. Acres, 9, 770. Real property, £14, 234. Pop., 2, 173. Houses, 499. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir George S. Jenkinson, Bait. A fine tower, erected in 1846, to General Lord R. E. H. Somerset, stands on the brow of a hill, commanding a fine view There are traces of a Roman road. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Tresham, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £350. * Patron, Sir George S. Jenkinson, Bart. The church is of various dates, chiefly later English; consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and contains monuments of the Jenkinsons. The vicarage of Hillesley is a separate benefice. There are chapels of ease at Tresham and Little Badminton, chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Primitive Methodists, two national schools, and charities £44.The sub-district contains also six other parishes. Acres, 20, 668. Pop., 4, 156. Houses, 920.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a tything, a parish, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Hawkesbury AP/CP Hawkesbury SubD Chipping Sodbury PLU/RegD Gloucestershire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.