HEMINGFORD-ABBOTS, a village and a parish in St. Ives district, Huntingdon. The village stands on the river Ouse, adjacent to the Cambridge and Huntingdon railway, 2V miles W of St. Ives; and has a post office under St. Ives, Hunts. The parish comprises 2, 990 acres. Real property, £4, 154. Pop., 518. Houses, 123. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given, in the time of Canute, by Bishop Æthelric, to Ramsey abbey; went, after the dissolution, to the Pages and the Barnards; and belongs now to Miss Mitchell and Captain Douglas. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £424.* Patron, Dennis Herbert, Esq. The church is ancient but good: and contains a tomb of one of the abbots of Ramsey. Charities, £18.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Hemingford Abbots AP/CP St Ives PLU/RegD Huntingdonshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.