HENBURY, a township and a chapelry in Prestbury parish, Cheshire. The township lies 2 miles W of Macclesfield r. station; includes the hamlet of Pexhall; and bears the name of Henbury-with-Pexhall. Acres, 1, 400. Real property, £4, 067. Pop., 445. Houses, 93. The manor, with Henbury Hall, belongs to E. Marsland, Esq.The chapelry extends beyond the township, includes part of the borough of Macclesfield, and was constituted in 1845. Post town, Macclesfield. Pop., 1, 015. Houses, 231. The living is a p. curacy in.the diocese of Chester. Value, £160.* Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church was built in 1845; is in the early English style; and has a lofty spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed national school, with £20 a year.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township and a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Henbury CP/Tn Prestbury AP/CP Cheshire AncC|
|Place names:||HENBURY | HENBURY WITH PEXHALL|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.