HENLOW, a village and a parish in Biggleswade district, Beds. The village stands near the river Ivel and the Hitchin and Leicester railway, 2½ miles SE of Shefford; and has a station on the railway, and a postoffice under Biggleswade. The parish comprises 2, 450 acres. Real property, £4, 781. Pop., 1, 011. Houses, 190. The property is divided among a few. HenlowWarden and Lanthony manors belong to General H. Raynsford; and the De Grey manor belongs to the Conntess Cowper. Henlow Grange, the seat of Gen. Raynsford, is a fine mansion. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £265.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good, and has a fine tower. Charities, £8.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Henlow CP/AP Biggleswade RegD/PLU Bedfordshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.