HILARY (ST.), a parish in Penzance district, Cornwall; near Mount's bay, 3 miles E by S of Marazion Road r. station, and 5 E by N of Penzance. It adjoins the extra-parochial tract of St. Michael's Mount, and includes the town of Marazion, which has a post office, designated Marazion, Cornwall. Acres, 3, 657; of which 190 are water. Real property, £9, 607; of which £813 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 3, 021; in 1861, 3, 459. Houses, 687. Granite and slate are the chief rocks; and copper and tin ores are worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £311.* Patrons, the Duke of Leeds and others. The church stands on high ground forms a conspicuous landmark; was recently rebuilt; and contains monuments of the Godolphins and others. The p. curacy of Marazion is a separate benefice. There are several dissenting chapels. Palmer, the Nonconformist, and Hitchins, the astronomer, were vicars. See Marazion.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||St Hilary AP/CP Penzance PLU/RegD Cornwall AncC|
|Place names:||HILARY ST | ST HILARY|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.