HILLMORTON, a village and a parish in Rugby district, Warwick. The village stands partly on an eminence, partly on an affluent of the river Avon, adjacent to the Northwestern railway, near the Oxford canal, and the boundary with Northampton, 2¼ miles from Watlingstreet, and 2½ ESE of Rugby r. station; and has a postoffice under Rugby, and a Home mission and readingroom. The upper part of it was anciently called Hill or Hull, the lower part, Moreton; and these two names combined give the name Hillmorton.The parish comprises 3, 150 acres. Real property, £7, 337; of which £50 are in quarries. Pop., 978. Houses, 225. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Thomas Townsend, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £300. Patron, the Rev. E. M Stanley. The church is ancient; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with square tower; and contains an effigies of a priest, and two monuments of the Astley family. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £16, and other charities with £82.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Hillmorton CP/AP Rugby PLU/RegD Warwickshire AncC|
|Place names:||HILL | HILLMORTON | HULL|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.