HOLM, or Holm-Lacey, a village and a parish in the district and county of Hereford. The village stands out the river Wye, adjacent to the Monmouth and Hereford railway, 4¾ miles SE of Hereford; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Hereford. The parish comprises 3, 192 acres. Real property, £4, 522. Pop., 307. Houses, 67. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Laceys, passed to the Scudamore's, and belongs now to Sir E. F. Scudamore Stanhope, Bart. Holm-Lacey House was re-built by the second Viscount Scudamore, the friend of the poet Pope; is now, for the most part, comparatively modern; has three fronts, with projecting wings; measures 150 feet along the S front, and 200 feet in total length; includes a saloon with beautiful wood-carvings by Grinling Gibbons; has some other splendid apartments; and contains some family portraits and fine paintings. Pope frequently resided in it, and wrote here his "Man of Ross." The gardens connected with it are extensive, and on a plan similar to those of Hampton Court. Sir James Scudamore was the legendary "Sir Scudamore" of Spenser's "Faerie Queene; and the first Viscount Scudamore is celebrated as the introducer, to Herefordshire, of the long famous redstreak apple. Philips, in his poem on Cider, says:- "But how with equal numbers shall we match The Musk's surpassing worth? Yet let her to the Red-streak yield, that once Was of the sylvan Kind, unciviliz'd, Of no regard, till Scudamore's skilful hand Improved her, and by courtly discipline Taught her the savage nature to forget: Hence styled the Scudamorean plant." A Premonstratensian abbey was founded at Holm, by William Fitzwarine, in the time of Henry III.; and was given, at the dissolution, to the Laceys. A bridge was recently erected here over the Wye. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Bolstone, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £543.* Patron, Sir E. F. S. Stanhope, Bart. The church is Norman, in tolerable condition; and contains a monument of the Duchess of Norfolk, who died in 1820, and some other family monuments. Charities, £133, and a bull worth £20 for the poor.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Herefordshire AncC|
|Place names:||HOLM | HOLM LACEY | HOLM OR HOLM LACEY|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.