Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HOOSE, or Hoylake

HOOSE, or Hoylake, a village, a township, and a chapelry in West Kirby parish, Cheshire. The village stands on the coast, near the mouth of the Dee estuary, 7½ miles W by N of Birkenhead; is now a favourite watering place; has a post office, ‡ of the name of Hoylake, under Birkenhead; is connected with Birkenhead by a railway, completed in 1866; and has a race-course on which races are run, in May and Sept., by the Liverpool hunt. The railway to it commences on the Mersey at Seacombe ferry; passes near the N side of the Birkenhead docks; proceeds through Poolton village to Bidston; is joined there by a branch from the Wallasey-Bridgeroad in Birkenhead; proceeds, by way of Moreton, Saughall-Massey and Great Meols, to Hoylake; and was authorised, in 1865, to be extended 4¾ miles to New Brighton, and in 1866, to be extended 8¼ miles to Parkgate. A roadstead, called Hoylake, originally Hoyle-Lake, is opposite the village; serves for vessels waiting a night or a tide, to go through the Rock channel to Liverpool, or up the Dee to Chester; has anchorage in from 3 to 5 fathoms; is considerably sheltered, along the outer side, by a shoal, called the Hoyle Sands, 4 miles long and 3 miles wide; and has two dioptric fixed lights, erected in 1865 in place of old ones, 71 and 47 feet high, put up in 1763. -The township comprises 230 acres of land, and 2, 140 of water. Real property, £1, 431. Pop., 664. Houses, 136.—The chapelry was constituted in 1860; and is larger than the township. Pop., 1, 017. Houses, 202. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £150. Patron, the Bishop of Chester.

(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Hoose CP/Tn       West Kirby AP/CP       Cheshire AncC
Place names: HOOSE     |     HOOSE OR HOYLAKE     |     HOYLAKE
Place: Hoylake

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.