IPSLEY, a parish in Alcester district, Warwick; on the river Arrow and the Redditch railway, contiguous to Worcestershire, 1¾ mile SE by E of R edditch railway station. It contains Headless Cross village, and part of Redditch town, each of which has a post office under Bromsgrove; and contains also part of Crabs-Cross village. Acres, 2, 514. Real property, £5, 601. Pop. in 1851, 1, 099; in 1861, 1, 127. Houses, 234. The property is chiefly divided between two. The manufacture of needles and fish hooks is carried on at Ipsley Mills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £588.* Patron, the Rev.Dolben. The church is very ancient; has an embattled tower; and contains some very old monuments of the Huband family. The rectory of Headless Cross is a separate benefice. A Roman Catholic chapel was recently erected on the border of the parish, at a cost of £6, 000. W. S. Landor, Esq., the author of "Imaginary Conversations, " was a resident.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Ipsley CP/AP Alcester PLU/RegD Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.