ITCHINGTON (LONG), a village and a parish in Southam district, Warwick. The village stands on the river Ichene or Watergall, near the Warwick and Napton canal, 2 miles NNW of Southam and 2 S of Marton r. station; and has a post office under Rugby. The parish contains also the hamlets of Stoney-Thorpe and Bascote. Acres, 4, 510. Real property, £8, 636. Pop. in 1851, 1, 216; in 1861, 1, 150. Houses, 271. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to the Odingsells; passed through several hands to Dudley Earl of Leicester, who here entertained Queen Elizabeth on her way to Kenilworth; and belongs now to Lord Leigh and the Earl of Aylesford. The parish is a meet for the Warwickshire hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £210. Patron, J. D. Ellis, Esq., three turns, and Lord Leigh, one turn. The church is very an]cient; consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and was restored in 1866. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, a neat national school of 1855, and charities £31. St. Wulfstan was a native.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Long Itchington CP/AP Southam RegD/PLU Warwickshire AncC|
|Place names:||ITCHINGTON | ITCHINGTON LONG | LONG ITCHINGTON|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.