Your free text search term was GARWAY.
KENTCHURCH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in the district and county of Hereford. The village stands on the river Monnow, at the boundary with Monmouth, 2 miles SE of Pentrilas r. station, and 12 SW by W of Hereford; and has a post office‡ under Hereford. The parish comprises 3, 286 acres. Real property, £2, 179. Pop., 325. Houses, 70. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Kentchurch Court, has belonged, for several centuries to the Scudamore family. The Court is a castellated mansion, said to have been built by Henry IV.; and stands in an extensive park, on the W slope of Garway hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £246. * Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient; was recently restored; has a tower; and contains a splendid marble monument, with eleven finely wrought figures, to members of the Scudamore family. An endowed school has £16; and other charities £4.The sub-district contains also eight other parishes in Hereford, and two in Monmouth. Acres, 26, 723. Pop., 3, 567. Houses, 731.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a parish, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Kentchurch CP/AP Kentchurch SubD Herefordshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.