KINETON, or KINGTON, a small town, a parish, and a sub-district in Stratford-on-Avon district, Warwick. The town stands on an eminence in the midst of a valley, 2½ miles SE of the Fosse way, 4¼ NW of the boundary with Oxfordshire, 6 W by S of Fenny-Compton r. station, and 11 S by E of Warwick; comprises two streets, at right angles; is a seat of petty sessions; had formerly a weekly market; and has now a post office‡ under Warwick, two inns, a church, a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, a middle school and reading room, and fairs on 5 Feb. and 2 Oct. The church stands in the middle of the town; is cruciform, with an added N aisle; was partly rebuilt in 1775; and has a fine old doorway and a tower.The parish contains also the hamlet of Little Kineton and the township of Combrook. Acres, 3, 810Real property, £5, 502. Pop. in 1851, 1, 270; in 1861, 1, 305. Houses, 293. The manor was anciently known as Chineton; belonged to the Confessor; was given to Kenilworth abbey; and belongs now to Lord Willoughby de Broke. A castle stood anciently on Castle hill, a little W of the town; and is said to have been erected by King John, who occasionally held his court in it; but it has completely disappeared. A spring, called King John's well, is at the foot of the hill. The battle of Edge-Hill, notable for the defeat of Charles I., was fought on the S border; and has bequeathed to the place the name of Battle-Farm. The Warwickshire hounds are kennelled at Little Kineton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £116.* Patron, Lord Willoughby de Broke. The p. curacy of Combrook is a separate benefice. A Baptist chapel is at Little Kineton; and there are charities £40.The sub-district contains also three other parishes. Acres, 10, 166. Pop., 2, 378. Houses, 518. See KINGTON.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a small town, a parish, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "cities")|
|Administrative units:||Kineton CP/AP Kineton SubD Stratford on Avon RegD/PLU Warwickshire AncC|
|Place names:||KINETON | KINETON OR KINGTON | KINGTON|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.