KIRBY (West), a village, a township, and a parish in Wirral district, Cheshire. The village stands on the estuary of the Dee, 1¾ mile S by W of Hoylake r. station, and 7½ W by S of Birkenhead; is a small bathingplace; and has a post office under Birkenhead. The township comprises 440 acres of land and 2, 870 of water. Real property, £1, 755. Pop., 413. Houses, 84. The parish contains also the townships of Hoose, Great Meolse, Little Meolse, Grange, Newton-cum-Larton, Frankby, Caldy, and nearly all Greasby. Acres, 34, 286; of which 28, 840 are water. Real property, with the rest of Greasby, £10, 146. Pop., 2, 059. Houses, 394. A vast proportion of the area, designated water, is foreshore, lying between the ebb and the flood of tides. The property is much subdivided. The Hoylake railway, opened in 1866, traverses the N, and terminates there. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £500.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church is ancient; had, prior to 1780, nave, aisles, and chancel; was, in that year, badly altered; and, at a recent date, underwent interior renovations. The p. curacies of Hoylake and Frankby are separate benefices. There are a free gammar school, with £56 a year from endowment, and charities £66.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a township, and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||West Kirby AP/CP Wirral RegD/PLU Cheshire AncC|
|Place names:||KIRBY | KIRBY WEST | WEST KIRBY|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.