LAWFORD-CHURCH, a parish, with a village, in Rugby district, Warwick; on the river Avon and the Northwestern railway, near the Fosse way, 3¾ miles E of Brandon r. station, and 4 W by N of Rugby. Posttown, Long-Lawford, under Rugby. Acres, 1,865. Real property, £2, 523. Pop., 311. Houses, 69. The manor and all the land belong to the Duke of Buccleuch. A cutting of the railway here was made by excavation of 500, 000 cubic yards of earth. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Kings-Newnham, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Duke of Buccleuch. The church is good; and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with a small tower. A school is supported by the Duke of Buccleueh.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish, with a village" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Rugby PLU/RegD Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.