LEEK-WOOTTON, a village and a parish in the district and county of Warwick. The village stands near the river Avon and the Leamington and Coventry railway, 1½ mile S by W of Kenilworth r. station, and 2 N of Warwick; and has a post office under Warwick. -The parish contains also the hamlet of Hill-Wootton. Acres, 1,860. Real property, £4, 389. Pop., 389. Houses, 93. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Clarendon. Woodcote House is the seat of H.Wise, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £400.* Patron, Lord Leigh. The church was rebuilt in 1792; has a new chancel, in the decorated English style, built in 1843; has also an embattled tower; is adorned, in its windows, with beautiful stained glass, partly put up in 1864; and contains several handsome monumental tablets. There are a national school and charities £18.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Leek Wootton CP/AP Warwick PLU/RegD Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.