LEIGH (LiTTLE), a village, a township, and a chapelry in Great Bedworth parish, Cheshire. The village stands near the Grand Trunk canal and the river Weaver, 3½ miles NW of Northwich r. station; and has a postal pillar under Northwich. The township comprises 1,529 acres. Real property, £.2,930. Pop., 409. Houses, 79. The manor belongs to Lord Leigh. The chapelry includes also the townships of Dutton and Bartington; and was constituted in 1833. Pop., 914. Houses, 147. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £160.* Patron, the Vicar of Great Budworth. The church is a brick building, with a turret. The parsonage was rebuilt in 1864. There are a Baptist chapel, a village school, and charities £4.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a township, and a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Cheshire AncC|
|Place names:||LEIGH | LEIGH LITTLE | LITTLE LEIGH|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.