LEIGHTON, a village and a parish in the district and county of Huntingdon. The village stands near two affluents of the river Ouse, 5 miles N by E of Kimbleton r. station; is sometimes called Leighton-Bromswold; is a scattered place; and has fairs on 1 May and 5 Oct. The parish comprises 2,770 acres. Post town, Kimbolton, under St. Neots. Real property, £4,131. Pop., 450. Houses, 91. The manor belongs to the Trustees of the late John Norris, Esq. Leighton-Gorse is a meet for Earl Fitzwilliam's hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £180.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is ancient but good; and consists of nave, transept, chancel, and porches, with fine pinnacled tower. There is a national school.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Leighton CP/AP Huntingdon RegD/PLU Huntingdonshire AncC|
|Place names:||LEIGHTON | LEIGHTON BROMSWOLD|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.