Your free text search term was WESTON UNDER TRENT.
LICHFIELD, a city, four parishes, a sub-district, and a district in Staffordshire, and a diocese partly also in Derbyshire, Salop, and Notts. The city stands on a small affluent of the river Trent, on Icknield-street, near the intersection of Icknield-street with Watling-street, near the junction of the Wyrley and Coventry canal with the Grand Trunk canal, and on the Walsall and Derby railway, near its intersection by the Trent Valley railway, 16 miles N by E of Birmingham, and 16 SE by E of Stafford. Its site is a fine open vale, surrounded by fertile hills of moderate height and easy ascent; and the S part is divided from the Cathedral-close by a brook, spreading into a large pool or marsh, and crossed by bridges. The city never was surrounded by walls; and it therefore wants the compactness and density of most other old cities. Its outline is irregular; and some of the streets stretch away to a considerable distance from the main body. A ditch was at one time formed round the early precincts; but this has left no other trace than the name Castle-ditch, in the E. Most of the present houses are modern; and many of them are handsome, and occupied by gentry. The interior of the city, in a general view, exhibits convenience and respectability; and the environs have gardens, agreeable walks, and a diversity of pleasant views.
History.Lichfield probably sprang, in some way, from the Roman station Etocetum, which stood at the interse.tion of Ickuield-street and Watling-street. The name is Saxon; was anciently written Licedfeld, Licethfeld, and Lichfeld; and has been derived, by some, from lych, "a marsh, "with allusion to the marshy character of its site,- by others, from lych, "a dead body," or "the dead," with allusion to a tradition that a great battle was fought on "a field" here by three kings, who slew one another on the spot. Another tradition alleges that the town existed in the Roman times; that it was the scene of a slaughter of Christians during the Diocletian persecution in 286; and that it took its name of ''the field of the dead ''from that slaughter. It probably was no more than a small village in the time of Oswy, king of Northumbria. That monarch, about 656, having defeated and slain Penda, the heathen king of Mercia, introduced Christianity among his subjects, and made Lichfield the seat of a bishopric. Chad, a zealous ecclesiastic, afterwards canonized, was made bishop in 669; and he greatly propagated Christianity among the people, and raised Lichfield to the condition of a considerable town. Offa, king of Mercia, about 790, obtained from the Pope a decree for dividing the province of Canterbury, and niaking the see of Lichfield archiepiscopal; but, after Offa's death, that decree became obsolete. Lichfield did not flourish well even as a simple see; and, at the time of the Norman conquest, had sunk to small importance. The bishopric, therefore, was transferred from it, in 1075, to Chester; whence, in 1102, it was removed to Coventry. Roger de Clinton, being appointed bishop in 1129, i.e.constituted the bishopric of Lichfield, rebuilt its cathedral, and assumed the title of Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield. His successors, till the time of Charles II., continued to wear that title; the successors thence till 1836, were styled Bishops of Lichfield and Coventry; and the subsequent successors are styled simply Bishops of Lichfield. De Clinton, besides rebuilding the cathedral, founded a priory, and erected a strong castle or magnificent tower; and the castle became the prison of Richard II., on his way to the Tower of London. The town had a mint in the time of Stephen; it was burnt in 1291; it was ravaged by the plague in 1593; and it was taken by the parliamentarians in 1643, retaken by Prince Rupert, and given back to the parliamentarians in 1646. Richard II. kept Christmas in it in 1397, two years before being a prisoner in its castle; Queen Elizabeth visited it in 1575; James I. visited it in 1624; Charles I. lodged in it three times in 1643; and the Princess Victoria visited it in 1832. William de Lichfield a learned monk, Whittington a scholar, Butt and Buckeridge the theologians, Camden's father, Dr. Thomas Newton, Dr. Samuel Johnson, Ashmole, Smallridge, Major André, and Dilke the dramatist, were natives; Dr. Darwin, the author of "Zoonomia," and other works, lived in Baron-street, and practised here as a physician; and the Boniface of Farquhar's ''Beaux Stratagem ''kept the George inn in 1707. The city gives the title of Earl to the family of Anson.
The Cathedral.The original cathedral, built by King Oswy, was restored in 700 by Bishop Hedda, but has left no vestiges. The present cathedral retains portions of the pile as rebuilt by Roger de Clinton; and includes additions and restorations of periods from the 12th century till the present time. The nave, the transept, the aisles, the choir, and the chapter-house, are mainly of dates from 1129 till 1240; the towers and the Lady chapel date from 1296 till 1360; some portions range from 1420 till 1447; numerous portions belong to an extensive restoration, at enormous expense, during the years 1647- 1669; the roofs of the aisles and parts of two of the spires date from 1788 till 1795; the W window was restored by James II., and re-glazed in 1776; the glass of the Lady chapel dates from 1530 till 1540, but belonged to a Flemish abbey nearly Liege, and was brought to Lichfield so late as 1805; other windows are comparatively modern; restorations, to the extent of removing whitewash, renewing stonework, and substituting a light and open screen for a heavy close previous one, were completed at a cost of about £10,000 in 1861; and other restorations, including a new reredos, sedilia, and other features, have since been in a great measure executed, although the restoration is not yet complete. Vast damage was done to the pile in 1643-6; the royalists and the parliamentarians then alternately held and used its close as the fortalice of the city; upwards of 2,000 shot and 1,500 grenades were fired against it; the lead was torn from it to be cast into bullets; parts of its walls were shattered, and most of its central spire demolished; and so great was the quantity of rubbish from the result of demolition that, in order to prepare for the very costly renovation which followed, the eight carriage horses of the Bishop were employed to assist in clearing the rubbish away. The cathedral is considerably smaller than the chief ones in England, yet it presents an aggregate appearance superior to most.
Its site is advantageously on an eminence; its surroundings are free from cloister or precinct wall, from gate or ancient monastery; its W front is inferior only to the W fronts of Wells and Peterborough; its general architecture is of the best dates, in admirable proportions, with symmetrical arrangement, alike chaste and ornate; its three beautiful spires spring exquisitely aloft from the general mass; its very stone, of a pale rose colour, looks soft and mellow; and, were only some unsightly buildings in the southern vicinity swept away, and a lawn formed down to the lakelet in the neighbouring hollow, the pile would stand out to the view more richly picturesque than almost any other great church in England.
Lo, with what depth of blackness thrown
Against the clouds far up the skies,
The walls of the cathedral rise,
Like a mysterious grove of stone,
With fitful lights and shadows blending;
As from behind, the moon ascending,
Lights its dim aisles and paths unknown.
Only the cloudy rack behind,
Drifting onward wild and ragged,
Gives to each spire and buttress jagged
A seeming motion undefined.
The entire pile is 379 feet long; the nave is 177 feet long, 66 wide, and 60 high; the choir and Lady chapel are 195 feet long; the choir is 37 feet wide; the Lady chapel is 27 feet wide; the transept is 152 feet long and 45 feet wide; the western steeples are 183 feet high; the central steeple is 258 feet high; and the chapter-house is 45 feet long, 28 wide, and 23 high. The W front has three door-ways, a decorated window of six lights, and a gable with trefoiled panels; has, over the whole face, four trefoiled and canopied arcades, once all containing statues; and is flanked with two towers, surmounted by hexagonal spires. The central door-way shows a rich combination of foliated arches, exquisitely wrought mouldings, and canopied statues; and the arcade above it retains the statues originally there, being twenty-five statues of kings, from Venda to Richard II., restored in 1820-1. The flanking towers have hexagonal stair-turrets on the sides, and are crowned with crocketted pinnacles at the angles; and the spires are delicately banded at intervals, and have four successive tiers of canopied spire lights. The central tower rises one story above the roof, has canopied two-light windows on each face, and is crowned with pinnacled turrets at the angles; and its spire is of the same form as the other two spires, and of similar character, but is crocketted along the sides. The nave is of light bays, with remarkably beautiful aisles; and shows the early English character in a distinctive manner, neither as simply as Salisbury nor as richly as Lincoln, yet more akin than either to decorated English. The four massive-piers which support the central tower have clustered shafts, bound with three fillets. The transepts are cooperatively plain, and are not in keeping with the rest of the edifice; yet their doors are very elaborate, and have statues and other decorations such as to make them not very much inferior to the great W door. The choir is of eight bays, with aisles; shows well the decorated English character; deflects somewhat out of the line of the nave, to emblemize the drooping head of the crucified Saviour; has a hexagonal form in the E end; and is subtended by two sacristies on the S side, and by a vestibule and the chapter-house on the N. The Lady chapel is the gem of the cathedral, and gives it a beautiful termination; has lofty trefoiled three-light windows, rich tracery, and graceful flowering canopies; and contains nine stalls, extending in range beneath the windows, seven of them brilliant with stained glass, and every two paired off with niches, canopies, and brackets. The chapter-house is polygonal, has a single central pier, and is richly ornamented; and the vestibule of it is arcaded. The library is above the chapter-house; resembles it in character, but has less ornament; and contains, among other interesting matters, the manuscript of Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales,'' and a Saxon or 7th century copy of the Gospels, known as the Gospels of St. Chad. Superb monuments of Lord Basset and two Lords Paget were destroyed at the time of the civil war. The chief monuments now are, in the NW tower, one of Lady Mary Wortley Montague, by Westmacott; in the N transept, a monument of Miss Seward's parents, by the junior Bacon; in the S transept, a bust of Dr. Johnson, a monument of Dr. Newton, and a memorial to the 80th regiment, overhung by three standards taken at Sobraon; and in the choir, effigies of Bishops Langton, Pateshull, and Hacket, an effigies of Sir Humphrey Stan ley of the time of Henry VIII., a cadaver of Dean Heywood, a fine altar tomb of Archdeacon Hodson, and the famous figures of the two daughters of the Rev. W. Robinson, known as the ''Sleeping Children,'' by Chantrey. An Episcopal palace is at the NE corner of the close, and was rebuilt by Bishop Wood in 1690: but the palace now habitually occupied by the Bishop is Eccles hall Castle. The deanery stands to the W of the palace in the close; and part of it dates from the 15th century. The prebendal houses are in the SW; and some of them include specimens of ancient brick-work.
Churches.St. Mary's church stands on the S side of the Market-place; was erected in 1721, on the site of a very ancient church, which Leland describes as ' ' right beautiful; ''is a plain but neat edifice, with a short tower; and contains monuments of the Dyott family. - St. Chad's church stands at Stow, a little to the E; is a small and very ancient structure, with a fine early English S door, and a square tower; and took its name from being on or near the site of St. Chad's cell or hermitage. A spring, called St. Chad's well, is in its neighbourhood, under a small temple wreathed with sculptured roses, and bearing the initials of St. Chad on the arch; and is visited by children, and adorned with live garlands, on Ascension day.-St. Michael's church stands on Greenhill, at the SE side of the city; was erected in the time of Henry VIII., and partially rebuilt in 1644; has a fine spire; and contains a good font, an effigies of William de Watton of the time of Edward III., and many handsome monuments. A cemetery connected with it covers seven acres, is the chief cemetery of the city, contains the grave of Dr. Johnson's father, and is intersected by a noble avenue of elm trees.-Christ Church was built in 1847, is in the decorated English style, and has a square tower.-St. John's chapel stands in St. John'sstreet; is annexed to St. John's hospital, but serves as a chapel of ease; and is a singular structure, with curiously formed windows and a fine open roof. There are an Independent chapel, two Wesleyan chapels, a New Connexion Methodist chapel, and a Roman Catholic chapel.-A vicar's choral college was founded, in 1240, by Bishop Pateshall; and a friary was founded, in 1229, by Bishop Stavenby,-was burnt in 1291,-was rebuilt in 1545, and was made the head-quarters of the Duke of Cumberland in 1745.
Schools and Institutions.The grammar school, in St. John-street, was funded by Edward VI., and rebuilt in 1692 and 1850; is a brick edifice, in the Tudor style, 60 feet long; has £106 a year from endowment; and numbers, among its pupils, Dr. Johnson, Bishop Newton, Bishop Smallridge, Addison, Garrick, Salt the traveller, Ashmole the antiquary, Wollaston, author of the "Religion of Nature," King the herald, Hawkins Browne, Chief-Baron Lloyd, Chief-Baron Parker, Chief-Justice Wilmot, Judge Noel, and James the inventor of the "fever powder" Minor's school, in Bore-street, was founded in 1677, for teaching 36 boys English reading and the catechism; and has upwards of £135 a year from endowment. The diocesan Theological College for students intending to enter holy orders is near the cathedral; and there are national schools for both sexes, and industria1 and infant schools. The museum and library, near the Minster pool, was set on foot by John P. Dyott, Esq.; includes a newsroom; and, in all its departments, is free to the public, being supported by public rates. There is a flourishing working men's institution. The museum contains relics of the siege of Lichfield, relics of Dr. Johnson, portraits of the chief Lichfield worthies, and a collection of antiquities and objects of art; and the library contains about 2,000 volumes. St. John's hospital, in St. John-street, was instituted, in the time of Henry III., by Bishop Clinton; was rebuilt, with the exception of its chapel, in 1495; is a gloomy structure, remarkable for the number and curious form of its chimneys; gives house-room and money-allowances to 13 old men; and has an income of about £350. Dr. Milley's or the women's hospital, in Beacon-street, was founded in 1424, and rebuilt in 1504; gives support to 15 aged women; and has an endowed income of £376. Andrew Newton's alm houses, for the widows and daughters of clergymen, were founded in 1798; include 20 comfortable dwellings, forming a neat building, in the Close; afford £50 a year, with house and small garden, to each of 20 persons; and have an endowed income of £1,239. Lunn's alms houses have only £11. There are a lunatic asylum, a dispensary, and a work house; and the last, at the census of 1861, had 117 inmates.
Other Buildings.The guild hall, in Bore-street, includes court-room, city offices, police station, and house of correction. The market-house and corn-exchange, in St. Mary's square, was built in 1850; is in the Tudor style; has an arcade along its entire front, leading into a spacious covered market; and includes an upper room, capable of accommodating from 600 to 800 persons. An ancient cross, erected by Dean Denton. stood on the site of this edifice; comprised eight arches, resting on massive pillars; and had, on two of its sides, about 5 feet from the ground, two brass crucifixes about 20 inches long. The house in which Dr. Johnson was born still stands on the W side of the market-place. A statue of Dr. Johnson, presented to the city, in 1 838, by the Rev. James Law, chancellor of the diocese, stands in the market-place, opposite the house; is in a sitting position, 7 feet high; and rests on a square pedestal 1 0 feet high, the sides of which have bas-reliefs of varions incidents in the doctor's life. A drinking fountain, at the corner of the museum building, was erected in 1862, and has sculpture representing Christ and the woman of Samaria at Jacob's well. Both the Minster and the Stow pools are used as reservoirs by the South Staffordshire water-works company; and the houses, public conduits, and cathedral-close are well supplied with water from springing about a mile to the SW, under a trust devised by Hector Beane.
Trade.Lichfield has a head post office,† two railway stations with telegraph, two banking offices, and two chief inns; is a seat of county courts and a polling-placeA weekly market is held on Friday; fairs are held on the first Wednesday of Jan., Ash-Wednesday, 12 May, and the first Monday of July and of Nov.; and industry is carried on in market-gardening, coach-building, malting, brewing, flax-spinning, and paper-making. The city was governed, from 1387 till the time of Edward VI., by a guild, consisting of a master, 4 wardens, and 24 brethren; was incorporated, as a borough, by Edward VI.; and is now governed, under the new act, by a mayor, 6 aldermen, and 18 councillors. It sent two members to parliament from the time of Edward I. till that of Edward III.; it began to send two again in the time of Edward VI.; and it has continued to send two till the present time. Its boundaries are the same municipally and parliamentary; comprise 3,180 acres; and include all St. MaRy's parish, all the extra-parochial places of the Close, the Friary, and Fulfen, and parts of the parishes of St. Chad and St. Michael. Electors in 1833,861; in 1863,698. Corporation income in 1860, £920. Amount of property and income tax charged in 1863, £1,955. Pop. in 1851,7,012; in 1861,6,893. Houses, 1,456.
Parishes.St. Mary's parish, as already noted, is wholly within the city. Real property, in 1860, £9,429. Pop. in 1861,2,683. Houses, 532. St. Chad's parish contains also the township of Curborough and Elmhurst, comprising 2,080 acres. Real property of the whole, £12,022; of which £525 are in gas-works. Pop. of the whole, 2,145. Houses, 487. Pop. of the part within the city, 1,920. Houses, 440. St. Michael's parish includes also the hamlet of Freeford, the chapelry of Hammerwich, and the townships of Pipehill, Wall, Burntwood, Fisherwick, and Streethay, comprising 11,906 acres, and containing, within Hammerwich and Burntwood, recently opened coal-mines. Real property of the city portion, £10,196. Pop. of the whole, 5,112. Houses, 1,034. Pop. of the city portion, 1,986. Houses, 414. The ecclesiastical parish of Christchurch was formed, in 1848, out of the parishes of St. Chad and St. Michael. Pop. of the whole, 726. Houses, 163. Pop. of the St. Chad portion, 486. Houses, 105. The extraparochial places of the Close, the Friary, and Fulfen, within the city, had a pop., in 1861, of respectively 235, 8, and 10. houses, 58,2, and 1. The living of St. Mary is a vicarage, and the livings of St. Chad, St. Michael, and Christchurch are p. curacies, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value of St. Mary, £458;* of St. C., £250; of St. Michael, £368: of Chr., £300.* Patrons of St. Mary, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield; of St.and St. Michael, the Vicar of St. Mary; of Chr., the Bishop of Lichfield. The p. curacies of Wall and Burntwood, within St. Michael's parish, also are separate benefices.
The District.The sub-district of Lichfield contains all the parishes and places noted in the preceding paragraph, and also the parishes of Whittington, Elford, Weeford, Shenstone, Ogley-Hay, and Farewell, and the extra-parochial places of Tamhorn, Haselor, and Freeford. Acres, 37,688. Pop., 15,628. Houses, 3,224.The district comprehends also the sub-district of Rugeley, containing the parishes of Rugeley, Longdon, Armitage, and Colton; and the sub-district of Yoxall, containing the parishes of Yoxall, Hamstall-Ridware, Pipe-Ridware, Mavesyn-Ridware, Alrewas, and BromleyRegis, and the extra-parochial places of Alrewas-Hays, and Kings-Bromley-Hays. Acres of the district, 71,613. Poor rates in 1863, £9,372. Pop. in 1851,25,279; in 1861,27,541. Houses, 5,848. Marriages in 1863,185; births, 935,-of which 58 were illegitimate; deaths, 664,- of which 236 were at ages under 5 years, and 28 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60,1,819; births, 7,833; deaths, 5,216. The places of worship, in 1851, were 28 of the Church of England, with 11,781 sittings; 4 of Independents, with 1,139 s.; 1 of Quakers, with 14 s.; 8 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 1,158 s.; 2 of New Connexion Methodists, with 350 s.; 6 of Primitive Methodists, with 702 s.; and 3 of Roman Catholics, with 640 s. The schools were 49 public day schools, with 2,821 scholars; 47 private day schools, with 1,066 s.; 40 Sunday schools, with 3,139 s.; and 3 evening schools for adults, with 39 s.
The Diocese.Lichfield diocese comprehends all Derbyshire, all Staffordshire except part of Stottesden deanery, the northern portion of Salop, and the pendicle of Notts forming Ironville. Acres, 1,740,607. Pop. in 1861, 1,221,404. Houses, 243,215. The cathedral establishment includes the bishop, the dean, four canons, three archdeacons, twenty prebendaries, a chancellor, and six minor canons. The income of the bishop is £4,500; of the dean, £1,524; of each of three of the canons, £500; and of each of the archdeacons, £200. The most moted of the bishops have been Roger de Clinton, who died as a crusader at Antioch; Gerard la Pucelle, the canonist; Hugh de Nonant, who made great opposition to monasticism; Pateshull and Langton, who were Lord Treasurers; De Meyland, who could not speak English; Northbury, who was Lord Keeper; Close, one of the architects of King's College chapel; Smith, the founder of Brasenose College; Lee, who honoured the tastes of Henry VIII.; Neale, designated the ambitions; Overall, designated the learned; Abbot, who shot a keeper in deer-stalking; Hacket, who boldly preached at Holborn in defiance of Cromwell's soldiery; Lloyd, who became mystified in studying the apocalypse; Hough, who made sturdy resistance to King James at Magdalen; Hurd, who won the mitre with his pen; Earl Cornwallis; and the classic Butler. Five of the dignitaries became cai.dinals, and two became primates of Ireland. Calamy was offered the bishopric, and rejected it. The diocese is divided nut o the archdeaconries of Stafford, Derby, and Salop. The archdeaconry of Stafford comprises the deaneries of Lichfield, Allstonefield, Brewood, Cheadle, Eccleshall, Handsworth, Himley, Leek, Newcastle-under-Lyne, Penkridge, Rugeley, Stafford, Stoke-upon-Trent, Tamworth, Trentham, Trysull, Tut bury, Uttoxeter, Walsall, and Wolverhampton. The archdeaconry of Derby comprises the deaneries of Derby, Alfreton, Ashborne, Ashover, Bakewell, Brampton, Buxton, Castleton, Chesterfield, Cubley, Duffield, Eyam, Hartshorn, Lullington, Ockbrook, Radbourne, Stantonby-Bridge, Staveley, and Wirksworth. The archdeaconry of Salop comprises the deaneries of Condover, Edgmond, Ellesmere, Hodnet, Shiffnal, Shrewsbury, Wem, Whitchurch, and Wrockwardine.
The deanery of Lichfield contains the rectory of Yoxhall; the vicarages of Lichfield-St. Mary, Alrewas, Longdon, and Shenstone: and the p. curacies of L. St. Chad, L-St. Michael, L. Christchurch, Kings-Bromley, Burntwood, Farewell, Gentleshawe, Hammerwich, Hints, Ogley-Hay, Stounall, Wall, Weeford, Whittington, and Wichnor. The deanery of Allstonefield contains the rectories of Bloore-Ray and Grindon; the vicarages of Allstonefield and Ham; the p. curacies of Butterton, Cauldon, Elkstone, Flash, Sheen, Warslow, Waterfall, and Wetton; and the donative of Calton. The deanery of Brewood contains the rectories of Blymhill-St. Mary and Weston-under-Lizard; the vicarages of Brewood, Bushbury, and Sheriffhales; and the p. curacies of BishopsWood, Codsall, Coven, Shareshill, and Woodcote. The deanery of Cheadle contains the rectories of Cheadle, Draycot-le-Moors, and Kingsley; the vicarages of Alton, Caverswell, and Dilhorne; and the p. curacies of Bradley-le-Moors, Cotton, Denstone, Forsbrooke, Finchey, and Oakamoor. The deanery of Eccleshall contains the rectories of Ashley, Forton, Norbury, and Standon; the vicarages of Chebsay, Eccleshall, and High Offley; and the p. curacies of Adbaston, Broughton, Chorlton, Croxton, Cotes-Heath, Ellenhall, Gnosall, Knightley, Maer, Moreton, and Woore-St. Leonard. The deanery of Handsworth contains the vicarage of North Harborne, the five p. curacies of West Bromwich, the three p. curacies of Smethwick, the three p. curacies of Tipton, the two p. curacies of Handsworth, and the p. curacy of HarborneSt. John. The deanery of Himley contains the rectories of Himley and Kingswinford, the vicarage of Sedgley, and the p. curacies of Brierley-Hill, Brockmoor, Coseley, Ettingshall, Upper Gornal, Lower Gornal, KingswinfordSt. Mary, Pensnett, and Quarry-Bank. The deanery of Leek contains the rectory of Norton-in-Moors, the vicarages of Biddulph and Leek-St. Edward, and the p. curacies of Buddulph-Moor, Brownedge, Cheddleton, Endon, Horton, Ipstones, Leek-St. Luke, Longnor, Meerbrook, Milton, Onecote, Rushton-Spencer, Smallthorne, and Wetley-Rocks. The deanery of Newcastleunder-Lyne contains the rectory of Newcastle-St. Giles, the vicarages of Audley and Wolstanton, and the p. curacies of Betley, Chesterton, Golden-Hill, Keele, Kidsgrove, Mowcop, New Chapel, Newcastle-St. George, Silverdale, and Talk-o'-the-Hill. The deanery of Penkridge contains the rectory of Church-Eaton, the vicarage of Lapley, and the p. curacies of Acton-Trussell, Bednall, Bradley, Coppenhall, Dunstan, Penkridge-St. Michael, Penkridge-Christchurch, Stretton, and WheatonAston. The deanery of Rugeley contains the rectories of Blithefield, Colton, Ridware-Hamstall, and RidwareMavesyn; the vicarages of Abbots-Bromley, Colwich, and Rugeley; and the p. curacies of Armitage, Brereton, Cannock, Heywood, Hixon, Norton-Canes, Ridware-Pipe, and Great Wyrley. The deanery of Stafford contains the rectories of Haughton, Ingestre, Stafford-St. Mary, Standon, and Tixall; the vicarages of Milwich, Ranton, Seighford, and Weston-upon-Trent; and the p. curacies of Birchfield, Castle-Church, Derrington, Forebridge, Fradswell, Gayton, Marston, Salt, Stafford-St. Chad, StaffordChristchurch, Stow, and Whitgreave. The deanery of Stoke-upon-Trent contains the rectories of Bucknall, Burslem, Longton, Shelton, and Stoke-upon-Trent; and the p. curacies of Bagnall, Cobridge, Edensor, Etruria, Fenton, Hanley, Hartshill, Hope, Lane-End, Northwood, Penkhull, Sneyd, Trent-Vale, Tunstall, and Wellington. The deanery of Tamworth contains the rectories of Clifton-Campville, Drayton-Bassett, Elford, Harlaston, and Thorpe-Conswantine; the vicarage of Tamworth; and the p. curacies of Amington, Chilcote, Edingale, Fazeley, Hopwas, Wigginton, and Wilnecote. The deanery of Trentham contains the rectories of Swinnerton and Whitmore, the vicarage of Madeley, and the p. curacies of Aston, Barlaston, Blurton, Butterton, Fulford, Hanford, Hilderstone, Normacot, Red Bank, Stone-St Michael, Stone-Christchurch, and Trentham. The deanery of Trysull contains the rectories of Enville, Pattingham, and Malvern-Quatt; the vicarages of Penn, Trysull, Wombourne, and Worfield; and the p. curacies of Upper Arley, Kinver, Patshull, Swindon, and Tettenhall. The deanery of Tutbury contains the rectories of R.olleston and Tatenhill, the vicarages of Hambury and Taturby, the three p. curacies of Burton-on-Trent, and the p. curacies of Anslow, Barton-under-Needwood, Dunstall, Marchington, Needwood, and Stretton. The deanery of Uttoxoter contains the rectories of Bramshall, Checkley, and Gratwich; the vicarages of Ellaston, Mayfield, and Uttoxoter; and the p. curacies of Croxden, Kingstone, Rocester, Stanton, Stramshall, and Tean. The deanery of Walsall contains the rectories of Aldridge and Darlaston; the vicarages of Pelsall, Rushall, and WalsallSt. Mathew; and the p. curacies of Great-Barr, Bloxwich, Darlaston-St. George, Moxley, Pleck, Walsall-St. Peter, Walsall-St. Panl, Walsall-Wood, Wednesbury-St. James, and Wednesbury-St. John. The deanery of Wolverhampton contains the rectory and the eight vicarages of Wolverhampton; the vicarages of Bilston-St. Luke, Bilston-St. Mary, Wednesfield, Willenhall-St. Stephen, and Willenhall-Trinity; and the p. curacies of BilstonSt. Leonard, Willenhall-St. Giles, and Wednesfield-Heath.
The deanery of Derby contains the four vicarages and five p. curacies of Derby, and the p. curacies of Darley, Nornmanton, and Osmaston. The deanery of Alfreton contains the rectories of South Normanton, Pinxton, and Shirland; the vicarages of Alfreton, Blackwell, Heanor, Pentridge, and South Wingfield; and the p. curacies of Codnor and Loscoe, Ironville, Riddings, Somercotes, Ripley, and Swanwick. The deanery of Ashborne contains the rectories of Bentley-Fenny, Bradley, Edlaston, Mapleton, Norbury, and Thorpe; the vicarages of Ashborne and Bradbourne; and the p. curacies of Alsop, Clifton, Kniveton, Hulland, Osmaston, Parwich, Snelston, and Tissington. The deanery of Ashover contains the rectories of Ashover, Bonsall, Mattock, Morton, and North Wingfield; the vicarage of Crich; and the p. curacies of Brackenfield, Cromford, Dethick, Mattock-Bath, Tansley, Wessington, and Claycross. The deanery of Bakewell contains the rectory of Darley, the vicarages of Bakewell and Youlgrave, and the p. curacies of Ashford, Birchover, Cross-Green, Elton, Longstone, Monevash, Sheldon, and Winster. The deanery of Brampton contains the rectory of Whittington, the vicarages of Dronfield and Norton, and the p. curacies of Barlow, Brampton, Brampton-St. Thomas, Dore, Holmesfield, and Wingerworth. The deanery of Buxton contains the vicarage of Hartington, and the p. curacies of Biggen, Burbage, Buxton, Chelmorton, Fairfield, Church-Sterndale, King-Sterndale, Taddington, and Wormhill. The deanery of Castleton contains the rectory of Castleton, the vicarages of Glossop and Hope, and the p. curacies of Chapel-en-le-Frith, Charlesworth, Edale, Hayfield, Mellor, New Mills, and Whitfield. The deanery of Chesterfield contains the rectories of Clowne, Langwith, Pleasley, and Sutton-cum-Duckmanton; the vicarages of AultHucknall, Bolsover, Chesterfield, Heath, Scarcliff, and Tibchelf; and the p. curacies of Brimington, Calow, Hasland, Newbold, Chesterfield-Trinity, Shirebrook, and Temple-Normanton. The deanery of Cubley contains the rectories of Barton-Blount, Boyleston, Cubley, Longford, Sudbury, and Somershall-Herbert; the vicarages of Doveridge and Shirley; and the p. curacies of Alkmonton, Marston-Montgomery, Scropton, and Yeaveley. The deanery of Duffield contains the rectories of Breadsall and Morley; the vicarages of Denby, Duffield, and Horsley; and the p. curacies of Allestree, Belper, BridgeHill, Little Eaton, Hazlewood, Heage, Holbrooke, Milford, Quarndon, Smalley, and Turnditch. The deanery of Eyam contains the rectory of Eyam, the vicarages of Hathersage and Tideswell, and the p. curacies of Bamford, Baslow, Beeley, Derwent, Edensover, Middleton Stoney, and Peak-Forest. The deanery of Hartshorn contains the rectories of Hartshorn, Ravenstone, and Stretton-en-le-Field; the vicarage of Repton; and the p. curacies of Donisthorpe, Church-Gresley, Measham, Rosliston, Smisby, and Willesley. The deanery of Lullington contains the rectory of Walton-on-Trent; the vicarages of Croxall, Lullington, Stapenhill, and Willington; and the p. curacies of Cauldwell, Coton, Newhall, Newton-Solney, and Swadlincote. The deanery of Ockbrook contains the rectory of West Hallam; the vicarages of Kirk-Hallam, Ilkeston, Ockbrook, Sawley, Spon don, and Stanton-by-Dale; and the p. curacies of Breaston, Chaddesden, Cotmanhay, Dale-Abbey, Long-Eaton, Mapperley, Risley, Sandiacre, Stanley, and Wilne. The deanery of Radbourne contains the rectories of Brailsford, Dalbury, Egginton, Kedleston, Kirk-Langley, Mugginton, Radbourne, and Trusley; the vicarages of Etwall, Mackworth, Mickleover, and Sutton-on-theHill; and the p. curacies of Findern, Intack, Littleover, Long-Lane, and Marston-on-Dove. The deanery of Stanton-by-Bridge contains the rectories of Aston-onTrent, Shardlow, Stanton-by-Bridge, Swarkeston, and Weston-on-Trent; the vicarages of Barrow, Elvaston, and Melbourne; and the p. curacies of Alvaston, Boulton, Chelaston, Foremark, and Ticknall. The deanery of Staveley contains the rectories of Barlborough, Eckington, Killamarsh, Staveley, and Whitwell; the vicarages of Beighton and Elmton; and the p. curacy of Ridgeway. The deanery of Wirksworth contains the rectory of Carsington, the vicarage of Wirksworth, and the p. curacies of Atlow, Ballidon, Brassington, Hognaston, Idridgehay, Kirk-Ireton, and Middleton.
The deanery of Condover contains the rectories of A cton-Burnel, Berrington, Cound, Frodesley, Harley, Kenley, Pitchford, Sheinton, Smethcote, and Stapleton; the vicarage of Condover; and the p. curacies of Cressage, Dorrington, Langley, Lebotwood, and Longnor. The deanery of Edgmond contains the rectories of Bolas, Chetwynd, Edgniond, Hinstock, Kinnersley, Longford, Preston-on-Wildmoor, and Waters-Upton; the vicarages of Lilleshall and Wrockwardine-Wood; and the p. curacies of Aston, Childs-Ercal, Donnington-Wood, Newport, Oakengates, Sambrook, Tibberton, and Wombridge. The deanery of Ellesmere contains the rectories of Hordley, Petton, and West Felton; the vicarages of Baschurch, Ellesmere, Great Ness, and Ruyton; and the p. curacies of Cockshutt, Dudlestone, Little Ness, Penley, Welch-Hampton, and Weston-Lullingfield. The deanery of Hodnet contains the rectories of Hodnet, Norton-in-Hales, and Stoke-on-Tern; the vicarages of Cheswardine and Market-Drayton; and the p. curacies of Hales, Little Drayton, Moreton-Say, and Weston. The deanery of Shiffnal contains the rectories of Donnington, Ryton, Stirchley, and Stockton; the vicarages of Albrighton-next-Shiffnal, Kemberton, Shiffnal, and Sutton-Maddock; and the p. curacies of Boningale, Dawley-Magna, Dawley-Parva, Malins-Lee, Pains-Lane, Priors-Lee, and Tong. The deanery of Shrewsbury contains the rectories of Fitz and Shrawardine; the vicarages of Atcham, Montford, Shrewsbury-Abbey Church, Shrewsbury-St. Alkmund, and ShrewsburySt. Chad; and the p. curacies of Battlefield, Bayston-Hill, Berwick, Betton, Bicton, Leaton, Oxoin, Shrewsbury-St. George, Shrewsbury-St. Giles, Shrewsbury-St. Julian, Shrewsbury-St. Mary, Shrewsbury-St. Michael, Coleham, and Uffington. The deanery of Wenm contains the rectories of Middle, Moreton-Corbet, and Wem; the vicarages of Loppington, Shawbury, and Stanton-on-Hine-Heath; and the p. curacies of Albrighton-next-Shrewsbury, Astley, Broughton, Clive, Edstaston, Grinshill, Hadnal, Lee-Brockhurst, Newtown, and Preston-Gubbalds. The deanery of Whitchurch contains the rectories of Adderley, Doddington, Iglitfield, and Whitchurch; the vicarage of Prees; and the p. curacies of Ashe, Calverhall, Fauls, Tilstock, and Whixall. The deanery of Wrockwardine contains the rectories of Eyton, Rodington, and Upton-Magna; the vicarages of Ercall-Magna, Leighton, Wellington-All Saints, Wrockwardine, and Wroxeter; and the p. curacies of Buildwas, Eaton-Constantine, Hadley, Ketley, Lawley, Longdonon-Tern, Rowton, Uppington, Wellington-Christchurch, and Withington.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a city, four parishes, a sub-district, and a district" (ADL Feature Type: "cities")|
|Administrative units:||Lichfield SubD Lichfield RegD/PLU Derbyshire AncC Nottinghamshire AncC Shropshire AncC Staffordshire AncC|
|Place names:||LICEDFELD | LICETHFELD | LICHFELD | LICHFIELD|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.