LILLINGTON, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Warwick; 1½ mile NNE of Leamington r. station, and 3 NE of Warwick. Post town, Leamington. Acres, 1,324. Real property, £6,460. Pop. in 1851,309; in 1861,480. Houses, 87. The increase of pop. arose from increase of house accommodation. The property is subdivided. The manor and most of the land belong to H.Wise, Esq. Lillington House is the seat of J. Montgomery, Esq.; Blakedown House, of A. S. Field, Esq.; and Elm Bank, of T. L. Stanger-Leathes, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £327.* Patron, H.Wise, Esq. The church is ancient; belonged once to the monks of Kenilworth; was restored in 1847, and enlarged in 1858; consists now of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower; and has a fine stained glass E window. There are a national school and a working-men's reading-room.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish, with a village" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Lillington AP/CP/Ch Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.