LINDFIELD, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Cuckfield district, Sussex. The village stands on a hill, adjacent to the river Ouse, 1½ mile NE of HaywardsHeath r. station, and 3 ½ ENE of Cuckfield: is surrounded by a highly picturesque country; consists chiefly of one wide street, containing several well built houses; and has a post office,‡ under Cuckfield, three good inns, gasworks, a fair for sheep on 1 April, and a fair for lambs and cattle on 5 August.The parish contains also ScaynesHill, Scrace-Bridge, Townsland, Walsted, Lunt, Buxshalls, Beadle-Hill, Gravelys, and Wickham. Acres, 5,776. Real property, £6,060. Pop. in 1851,1,814; in 1861,1,917. Houses, 361. Manor House is the seatSharood; Lindfield House, of R.. Candle, Esq.; Walsted House, of T. R. Davis, Esq.; Gravely House, of J. R.Brown, Esq.; Hollybank, of J. H. Bull, Esq.; Oat Hall, of G. F. Bent, Esq.; and there are some very handsome villas. Kenwards was once the seat of the Challoners; Lunt was the seat of the Hamlyns; East Mascalls was the seat of the Newtons; and all three are now farm-houses. Paxhill is a recently restored Tudor mansion, the seat of P. N. Laurie, Esq. Lindfield Common, noted for growth of camomile, and called Camomile Common, is at the S of the village. Piano-forte-making employs many hands in a large establishment; and the making of bricks and tiles is carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chichester. Value, not reported. Patron, W. M. Kearns, Esq. The church is chiefly later English; has a tower which possibly is early English; comprises nave, aisles, transepts, and chancel; and contains a carved stone font, and monuments of the Board, Covert, Brett, and Crawfurd family. A church was anciently at Scaynes-Hill; and a suite of schools there, built in 1859, is used as a chapel of ease. There are an Independent chapel, with 500 sittings; a Baptist chapel, at ScaynesHill; a church school, a neat edifice in the pointed style, at the N end of the village; and extensive British schools, built in 1825, by the philanthropic William Allen for giving instruction, not only in the ordinary branches of education, but also in gardening, agriculture, clothmaking, and other industrial arts.The sub-district contains also three other parishes. Acres, 18,683. Pop., 4,213. Houses, 788.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a parish, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Lindfield CP/AP Lindfield SubD Cuckfield PLU/RegD Sussex AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.