LOSTOCK-GRALAM, a village and a township in Great Budworth parish, and a chapelry partly also in Davenham parish, Cheshire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Weaver, adjacent to the Altrincham and Northwich railway, 2 miles ENE of Northwich; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Knutsford. The township contains also the hamlet of Lostock-Green, and comprises 1,706 acres. Real property, £3,654. Pop., 467. Houses, 97. The manor belonged anciently to the family of Hame; passed to Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester; was given by him to Hugh de Runchamp, whose son Gralam assumed from it the name of Lostock: passed from the Lostocks to the Holfords: went afterwards to the Brookes; and belongs now to W. L. Brooke, Esq. The chapelry includes also the townships of Wincham, Hulse, and Lach-Dennis, and part of the lordship of Rudheath; and was constituted in 1844Pop., 1,294. Houses, 273. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £120. Patron, the Incumbent of Witton. The church is a brick edifice of 1844; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel. A Wesleyan chapel is at Lostock-Green; and a national school is near the church.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a township" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Davenham CP/AP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.