Your free text search term was CALDICOT.
MAGOR, a village, a township, and a parish, in New port district, Monmouth. The village stands on Old brook or Pratt pill, adjacent to the South Wales railway, on the N border of Caldicot level, 1¾ mile N of the Severn's estuary, and 7½ E by S of Newport; and has a station on the railway, and a post office,‡ under Chepstow. The township extends to the coast, and comprises 1,890 acres of land and 830 of water. Real property, £3,636. Pop., 451. Houses, 91. The parish contains also the chapelry of Redwick, and comprises 4,124 acres of land, and 6,390 of water. Real property, £7,955. Pop., 740. Houses, 141. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Redwick, in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £285.* Patron, the Duke of Beaufort. The church is a handsome edifice; has an early English tower, with later English alterations; and was about to be restored in April, 1867. The churchyard is pretty. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £3.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a township, and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Magor CP/AP Monmouthshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.