MANCETTER, or MANCHESTER, a village and a parish in Atherstone district, Warwick. The village stands adjacent to Watling-street, the river Anker, the boundary with Leicestershire, the Trent Valley railway, and the Coventry canal, 1 mile SE of Atherstone; occupies part of the site of the Roman station Mandnessedum; and, together with the neighbourhood, has finished a considerable number and variety of Roman relics. Pop., 355. Houses, 97. The parish contains also the township of Atherstone, and the hamlets of Oldbury and Hartshill; and its Post town is Atherstone. Acres, 4,120. Real property, £21,637: of which £398 are in quarries. Pop., 5,408. Houses, 1,239. The property is much subdivided. The Manor House is the residence of Viscount Curzon; Mancetter House, of J. R. Harper, Esq.; Mancetter Lodge, ofAlliston, Esq.; and Oldbury Hall, ofH. Okeover, Esq. Robert Glover, who lived in the manor house, and Mrs. Lewis, who was also a resident in the parish, were martyred for religion in respectively 1555 and 1577. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £230. * Patrons, the church Patronage Society. The church stands on an eminence, within the limits of the ancient Roman station; dates from the middle of the 14th century; consists of nave and chancel, with a tower; and contains monuments to RObert Glover and Mrs. Lewis. The vicarages of Atherstone and Hartshill are separate benefices. There are three dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a Benedictine nunnery, a free school, and a girls' national school, in Atherstone; two dissenting chapels, two endowed schools, and a national school, in Hartshill; and eleven alms houses, from a bequest of £2,000, in Mancetter village.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Mancetter AP/CP Atherstone RegD/PLU Warwickshire AncC|
|Place names:||MANCETTER | MANCETTER OR MANCHESTER | MANCHESTER|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.