MARCHINGTON, a village and a township-chapelry in Hanbury parish, Stafford. The village stands adjacent to the river Dove, the North Staffordshire railway, and the boundary with Derby, 3½ miles ESE of Uttoxeter; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Stoke-upon-Trent.-The township comprises 2,710 acres. Real property, £5,079. Pop., 484. Houses, 106. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to J. Cudden, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £120.* Patron, the Vicar of Hanbury. The church is a good brick edifice, with a low tower; and contains a monument to Sir Walter Vernon. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, an endowed national school with £16 a year, and charities £45.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a township-chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Hanbury CP/AP Marchington Ch/CP Staffordshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.