MARSTON-MORETAINE, a village and a parish in Ampthill district, Beds. The village stands on a branch of the river Ouse, 1 mile W of the Bedford and Bletchley railway, and 3½ NW of Ampthill; was once a market-town; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post office under Ampthill, both of the name of Marston. The parish comprises 4,171 acres. Real prolperty, £6,586. Pop. in 1851,1,183; in 1861,1,270Houses, 259. The property is divided among. a fewThe manor belongs to H. Alington, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely Value, £1,130.* Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church comprises later English naVe and aisles, early English chancel, and a massive detached tower; contains two brasses of the 15th century, and a fine marble monument; and was repaired in 1865. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a new national school, and charities £60.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Marston Moretaine CP/AP Ampthill PLU/RegD Bedfordshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.