MARTHALL, a township in Rostherne parish, and a chapelry partly also in Knutsford parish, Cheshire. The township lies 1 mile WNW of Chelford r. station, and 3½ SE by E of Knntsford. Acres, 1,733. Real property, £2,500. Pop., 253. Houses, 44. The chapelry was constituted in 1840, and is called Marthall-cum-Little Warford. Post town, Knutsford. Pop., 525. Houses, 100. Ollerton Hall was built in 1728, and is the seat of R. K. M 'Gildowny, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £60.* Patron, Lord Egerton. The church is a plain brick bnilding. There are an endowed school, and charities £4.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Knutsford Ch/AP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.