Your free text search term was STANFORD ON TEME.
MARTLEY, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a district in Worcestershire. The village stands on a pretty spot, near the river Teme, 2 miles from the boundary with Herefordshire, and 7¼ NW by W of Worcester r. station; is a polling-place; and has a post office under Worcester. The parish contains also the hamlet of Hillhampton, and comprises 5,124 acres. Real property, £7,603. Pop., 1,298. Houses, 271. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Dudley. Horsham House is the seat of N. J. Smith, Esq.; the Noak, of J. Nash, Esq.; and Hill Top, of R. A. Moule, Esq. Hops and fruit are extensively grown. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £1,100. * Patron, the Rev. H. J. Hastings. The church is Norman; consists of nave and chancel, with a tower; and was recently repaired. There are two endowed national schools, with £59 and £15 ayear, and charities £15.The sub-district excludes Hillhampton hamlet, but includes the parishes of Stockton, Stanford-on-Teme, Shelsley-Walsh, Shelsley-Beauchamp, and Clifton-upon-Teme, and the chapelry of Pensax. Acres, 13,335. Pop., 3,128. Houses, 652.The district comprehends also the sub-district of Great Witley, containing the parishes of Great Witley, Abberley, Areley-Kings, Astley, and Shrawley, the chapelry of Little Witley, and the hamlet of Hillhampton; the sub-district of Holt, containing the Holt proper part of Holt parish, the parishes of Grimley, Hallow, Cotheridge, Broad was, and Wichenford, and the extra-parochial tract of Kenswick; and the sub-district of Leigh, containing the parishes of Leigh, Knightwick, Suckley, and Doddenham. Acres, 53,718. Poor rates in 1863, £7,840. Pop. in 1 851,13,811; in 1861,15,098. Houses, 3,166. Marriages in 1863,91; births, 470,-of which 39 were illegitimate; deaths, 243,-of which 73 were at ages under 5 years, and 17 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60,826; births, 4,049; deaths, 2,581. The places of worship, in 1851, were 29 of the Church of England, with 6,399 sittings; 2 of Independents, with 250 s.; 3 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 155 s.; 1 of the Wesleyan Association, with 30 s.; and 3 of Lady Huntingdon's Connexion, with 280 s. The schools were 19 public day schools, with 1,183 scholars; 8 private day schools, with 178 s.; and 21 Sunday schools, with 1,284 s. The workhouse is at Martley; and, at the census of 1861, had 117 inmates.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a district" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Martley CP/AP Martley SubD Martley RegD/PLU Worcestershire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.