MARTON, a village and a township-chapelry in Prestbury parish, Cheshire. The village stands 3½ miles W by N of North Rode Junction r. station, and 3½ N by W of Congleton; and has a post office under Congleton. The chapelry comprises 1,947 acres. Real property, £3,947. Pop., 296. Houses, 49. The property belongs to A. H. Davenport, Esq. Marton Hall was formerly the seat of the Davenport family; and is a halftimbered building, now used as a farm-house. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £66. Patron, A. H. Davenport, Esq. The church was built about 1343; consists of nave and chancel, with short wooden spire; and is a curious half-timbered structure. There is a national school.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a township-chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Marton Ch/CP Prestbury CP/AP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.