BIRMINGHAM (NEW), a village and post-town, in the parish of KILCOOLEY, barony of SLIEVEARDAGH, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 11 ½ miles (E. N. E.) from Cashel, and 82 (S. W. by S.) from Dublin; containing 298 inhabitants. This place, which is situated at the termination of the mail coach road branching from Littleton, contains about 50 houses, and is indebted for its origin and name to the late Sir Vere Hunt, Bart., who, struck with its favourable situation contiguous to the coal mines of the Killenaule district, used every effort to raise it into manufacturing importance. For this purpose he obtained patents for one or two weekly markets and twelve fairs, which are now discontinued; and the town, which was the residence of its founder, and is now the property of his son, Sir Aubrey de Vere, Bart., is at present comparatively deserted. It is a constabulary police station; and there is a small prison, to which offenders are committed occasionally by the county magistrates. The parochial R. C. chapel, a large and handsome structure in the later English style, and recently erected, is situated in the village; and there is a school of about 80 or 90 children.See KILCOOLEY.
(Samuel Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837); Transcription © Derek Rowlinson, 2005-10. Reproduced from LibraryIreland. We are deeply grateful to LibraryIreland for allowing us to use their transcription.)
|Feature Description:||"a village and post-town" (ADL Feature Type: "cities")|
|Administrative units:||Slievardagh IrlBarony Tipperary IrlC|
|Place names:||BIRMINGHAM | BIRMINGHAM NEW | NEW BIRMINGHAM|
Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.