HAWNES, or HAYNES, a village and a parish in Ampthill district, Beds. The village stands 3 miles W of Southill r. station, and 4 NE of Ampthill; and has a post-office under Bedford. The parish comprises 2,561 acres. Real property, £3,990. Pop., 932. Houses, 196. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Newdegates, passed to the Carterets, and belongs now to Lord John Thynne. Grange Farm belonged to Chicksands priory; and is an interesting old edifice, with a fine staircase. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £500.* Patron, Sir George R. Osborn, Bart. The church is early decorated English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; contains the vault of the Carteret family; and was restored in 1850. There is a national school.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Haynes AP/CP Ampthill RegD/PLU Bedfordshire AncC|
|Place names:||HAWNES | HAWNES OR HAYNES | HAYNES|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.