LANGTON-MATRAVERS, a village and a parish in Wareham district, Dorset. The village stands near the coast, 3 miles SE of Corfe-Castle, and 8 SE of Wareham r. station; and has a post-office under Wareham.The parish contains also Acton hamlet, and extends to the coast. Acres, 2,250. Real property, with Herstone and Wallace, £2,809. Rated property of L.-M. alone, £1,944. Pop., 733. Houses, 172. The property is divided among a few. The higher grounds command views of the Channel and the Isle of Wight. Stone is largely quarried. A curious oblong tumulus is at Spyway, ½ a mile S of the village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £351. * Patron, J. B. Garland, Esq. The church had anciently a chantry, and was almost wholly rebuilt in 1838. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Langton Matravers AP/CP Wareham and Purbeck PLU/RegD Dorset AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.