Your free text search term was BENFIELDSIDE.
LANCHESTER, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district and county of Durham. The village stands on Smallhope burn, and on the Lanchester Valley railway, near a Roman station, 7½ miles WNW of Durham; consists largely of building material taken from the Roman station; was formerly a place of greater importance than at present; is a seat of petty sessions, and a polling-place; and has a post-office under Durham, a station on the railway, and a police-station. The Roman station was on an eminence, a little to the W; stood on Watling-street, near the junction with Wreken-dyke; formed a parallelogram, of 183 yards from N to S, and 143 from E to w; was surrounded by a vallum of ashlar-work, from 8 to 12 feet high, in regular courses, with stones 12 feet long and 9 inches thick; had a deep fosse on the W side of the vallum, and slopes on the other sides; appears to have been defended, at the angles, by round towers; is supposed, by some antiquaries, to have been the Eperakon of Ptolemy,by others, to have been the Longovicum of the Notitia; has yielded a great number of Roman altars, Roman coins, and other Roman relics; was in a remarkably fine state of preservation till 1851, when considerable portions of it were destroyed for sake of the stone; and is still in such extensive preservation as to be one of the most interesting antiquities of its class in England.The township bears the name of Lanchester and Hamlets, and comprises 4,266 acres. Real property, £5,252; of which £315 are in mines. Pop. in 1851,752; in 1861,876. Houses, 156.The parish contains also the townships of Billingside, Medomsley, Ebchester, Benfieldside, Healeyfield, Conside-cum-Knitsley, Burnop and Hamstees, Ivestone, Greencroft, Holmside, Langley, Esh, Butsfield, Cornsay, Collierley, and Kyo, and the chapelry of Satley. Acres, 38,867. Real property, £120,913; of which £19,344 are in mines, £39,324 in iron-works, £46 in quarries, and £300 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851,15,814; in 1861, 22,338. Houses, 4,057. The manor belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Greencroft Hall, Ford Hall, Woodlands Hall, and Colpike Hall are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church was originally Norman; retains some Norman portions; is chiefly early English, with insertions or additions of later date; includes in its masonry, stones taken from the Roman station; has a tower, whose lowest stage is a good specimen of decorated English; was made collegiate, by Bishop Beek, in 1283; and contains oak stalls, hagiological sculptures, a chalice found in 1571 in the Roman station, an effigies of Dean Austell of 1461, and several brasses. The p. curacies of Benfieldside, Castleside, Collierley, Consett, Ebchester, Esh, Holmside, Leadgate, Medomsley, and Satley, are separate benefices. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school, alms-houses with £240 a-year, other charities with £68, and a workhouse. Baker, the historian of St. John's College, Cambridge, was a native. The sub-district contains Muggleswick parish, Hedley-Hope township, and all Lanchester parish, excepting Collierley and Kyo townships. Acres, 45,186. Pop., 20,218. Houses, 3,630.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Lanchester CP/AP Lanchester SubD Durham PLU/RegD County Durham AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.